What is personal data?
- personal ID number
- personal photograph
- residence address
- previous residence address
- mother’s maiden name
- employer’s name
- telephone number
- e-mail address
- bank account number
- payment card details
- information about your religious beliefs
- information about your health (medicinal prescription)
- personal computer data
- IP address
- names and surnames of your family members
- details of deceased family members
Meaning of Identity Theft
Identity theft means using the identify data of another person (e.g., payment or credit card, social security certificate, passport data, etc.) for criminal purposes. Hence, a victim of ID theft in any case suffers negative consequences.
- traditional fraud in the physical space;
- modern technology fraud in the cyberspace.
- A name means a contractual name of any object which identifies that object unambiguously. It should be unique in the system;
- A password means a sequence of characters known only to the service provider and the service user, used by the service provider to authenticate the identity of the person who requests access.
It means that identity in the cyberspace is, in principle, considered identical to the login name and password and all security measures, for example, digital certificates, etc. correspond, in fact, to the person’s identity in the cyberspace. The verification of an identity has its advantages and shortcomings in both cases.
As we handle personal data every day (withdraw cash from bank accounts, pay taxes, write applications, go to the doctor, download information from the internet, communicate in social networks, and engage in other different activities), the value of information is obvious, therefore, ID thieves are on the alert.